Ernest Beal was Brighton’s only true born son of the Town to have been given the Victoria Cross, although be it posthumously, Her Majesty’s Government are supplying a commemorative paving stone to be laid at the War Memorial and after that the City is also unveiling a plaque to him at his birth place.
Work will be starting on a further section of the parapet wall on Monday 5th March for approximately 14 weeks.
Our local historian Richard Hawkes found an interesting item in the ‘Brighton and Hove Stuff’ shop on Western Road. A extract of the map of Brighton published in 1833 in the image.
The Grade 2 structure in Adelaide Crescent, which dates back to the 1830s, will be renovated to restore some of its rare and unique features.
EVENTS AT THE REGENCY TOWN HOUSE – JUNE / JULY
FOPA have been contacted about a watercolour painting of Adelaide Cresent that is currently for sale. The painting is titled ‘Hove’ by Charles H H Burleigh (15″ x 10″ actual picture and frame 21″ x 18″).
PAN 09: Householder guidance on energy efficiency for historic houses in Conservation Areas
Our collection of historical material related to our area continues to grow. This comprises of general information about the history of the development from 1830, and detailed information related to each house in the form of residents recorded in the annual street directories and the ten-yearly Census from 1841.
Did you know that 150 years ago a pier was planned to be sited opposite Adelaide Crescent? An article in the Sussex Advertiser for 12th April 1864 stated: “A company has been formed for the purpose of constructing a pier at the west end of the town. It is proposed that it should be erected immediately opposite that beautiful row of buildings known as Adelaide Crescent. It will be much longer than the chain pier, and the roadway will be even wider than that of the projected pier in front of Regency Square.
Take a glimpse back at Victorian life in a house tour which reveals the opulence, taste and lifestyle of a nouveau riche gentleman. This terraced house, with its impressive Grade 2* Listed interior, has miraculously survived and is now part of the English Language Centre, who offer guided tours on a monthly basis. For anybody interested in local history this is not to be missed.