In the past couple of weeks we have received reports of break-ins to properties on the Square and Crescent whilst the homeowner has been at home. We ask all neighbours to take extra precautions and ensure that your property is as secure as you can make it. But also to look out for any suspicious behaviour in the area and notify neighbours/Police.
The police have reacted quickly in these cases. If this happens to you please call 999 as soon as possible.
The possibility of being targeted by a burglar can be scary, but you can take extra precautions. Break-ins can occur at any time to anyone in any neighbourhood. Most burglars rely on hiding, speed and force to gain entry to a home. A home security system is an effective deterrent.
Taking just a few steps can make a big difference in keeping your home safe from burglary. Here are a few tips from police.uk:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you’re just out in the garden, remembering to lock doors
- Ensure all your window and door locks are secure, if unsure/necessary fit a second lock.
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox)
- If you have communal post area, see if a neighbour can put your post through your door when away (if they get into the communal hall, a build up of post can provide an easy target).
- Install a visual burglar alarm (as part of a suite of prevention measures – a burglar alarm on its own will not prevent entry to your home)
- Install good outside lighting – especially on areas such as fire escapes or access points to your property.
- If you are away get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
- Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition
- Secure bikes at home by locking them to an immoveable object inside a locked shed or garage
- Keep ladders and tools stored away; don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home
- Ensure gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property
- Remove valuables from view of windows
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault